Monday, January 13, 2014

symbolic exercises or magical thinking

So when I'm lucky, I use a sort of magical thinking to pretend I'm painting something, and when it works it works…I feel better and hopefully somewhere out there in digital universe land there is a somebody who can see it and like it.


No offense, but I doubt I think that when I'm painting…I mean I couldn't.  It would be embarrassing and besides that kind of thinking would, without doubt, destroy anything I tried to create.


But I do of course hope that there can be someone, or even a couple of them, that can once in a while see something and think, I like that.  Period. Really, that is it.  I'd like to sorta accidentally hit that button  oh every so often.


And there can be like a bunch of ways that could work.  An arrangement of lines or a certain color, but more fun would be some emotional net, an almost instantaneous involvement, so that they feel about the piece, that that is me, that is mine, I understand it and it understands me.


I always wonder about what it is that causes a connection between a person and a painting.  I know that when I was a kid walking down the hall and on into my dentist's office I was surrounded by Mark Tobey paintings, small ones, and I adored them…and I always felt they adored me back.


They made me feel peaceful and contented.  I felt the same about the Athur Dove paintings I saw at the Phillips Collection.  I was amazed at the size of them, or maybe I should say the small size of them.
I felt they talked in personal intimate terms, they used quiet voices to express a surreal world.

3 comments:

  1. Good work Doug! These make me feel a bit more peaceful and contented also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These seem to remind me of us all living in St Louis...

    ReplyDelete
  3. everything reminds me of us all living in STL. xoxo

    ReplyDelete