Tuesday, January 14, 2014

collage again

Someday I'll lie nowhere next to an Angel somewhere.  -Paul Klee


 Oh if I were a little bird,
a little bird would know,
I would fly to the distant seas that roar and cool my heart therein. -Paul Klee


It seems funny to me that we do not all spew poetry somewhere, like in emails and conversations and stuff.  It just seems so natural.  Of course not so many years ago we all spewed song lyrics:  Livin is easy with eyes closed misunderstanding all we see...


I think I'm wondering does poetry go with painting.  Should paintings each have a poem that is posted next to it.  Ah no, I don't think so.  In fact I like those small autobiographical statements; I like the way they are cold and distant.  The artists name, his dates both born and died, the title of the painting if there is one.  And there is occasionally some detail of life thrown in they find relevant to the painting...



Those all seem like Haikus to me, some distant form of poetics. And anyways I'm not trying to boost poetry.  It just seems to me that I can read poetry in many paintings.  and of course many artists are also poets like Kenneth Patchen…Do the dead know what time it is?


And they told him to starve and to kill the child within him; and only by doing this could he become a useful and adjusted member of the community which they had prepared for him.  And this time, alas, they did not lie. -Kenneth Patchen


I don't know anything about poetry really.  I don't feel like I know anything about anything.  I just feel most often that I creep along the ground like a worm on a rainy day, looking for a way to dry.

4 comments:

  1. And that's why Seth came into your life. He always makes a point of picking up the worms and making sure they're out of harms way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. doug, i LOVE these collages. i love the vibrant colors! love YOU.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I like them and feel compelled to make them.

      Delete