Thursday, January 16, 2014

broken color

Green is the color of the sparkling corn in the morning when we rise…-Donovan


They'll  sell you thousands of greens; veronese green and emerald green and cadmium green and any sort of green you like.  But that particular green never. -Pablo Picasso


Well green is one of my favorites, though I have a hard time saying what shade or hue I'm really in love with, except that it's green.  That I know.  I know it weaves around and is sometimes thick and often thin and transparent.  I think I see it outside but not usually on leaves.


But when its down and dried on a painting then I think I may have seen it in a leaf.  But I'm not sure exactly. These colors, especially green, can be confusing.


I have observed a number of works which actually lead one to assume certain people's eyes show them things differently than the way they really are…who perceive…or as they would doubtless say "experience"-the meadows as blue and the sky as green -the clouds as sulphurous yellow and so on.  I wish to prohibit such unfortunates, who clearly suffer from defective vision, from trying to foist the products of their faulty vision on their fellow men as though they were realities, or indeed from dishing them up as art.  -Adolf Hitler


The craving for color is a natural necessity just as water and fire.  Color is a raw material indispensable to life.  At every era of his moment and his history, each human being has associated color with his joys, his actions and his pleasures. - Fernand Leger


These colors sure do different things.  When I look back at these I almost always think, how did I do that?  Why didn't I do a hundred of those?


I feel like a goldfish swimming in a dirty tank.  When we were in Ann Arbor, I put a bunch of carp in our small pond out back.  But in some magical way they almost all, except two, disappeared.  The next day I looked outside and there by the pond stood a giant Blue Heron.  He looked a bit sad, a bit hungry.


You think you understand nature, but you never really do.  Once my little boy was walking in the woods out back when a rabbit shot by him.  He and his friend were laughing when suddenly they were knocked flat by a coyote coming after that rabbit.

6 comments:

  1. Love the quotes and the colors! Green IS the color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful series, your posts are always like extended mixed media poems. love the paintings-- there's something special about green, it almost looks like the paintings just grew that way out of moss and mold and shoots and leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, as I was looking at them, I thought well that grime that grew there, well I'll never be able to clean it all off.

      Delete
  3. good comment nick, and doug these greens are wonderful happy greens. not all greens are, to me, happy. but these greens make me feel like, grazin in the grass is a gas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. gosh. I'm really happy about that cause I feel exactly as you do.

      Delete