Friday, February 14, 2014

why wait

The funny thing is that  these collage paintings always take a long time to make.  In fact none of these would have ever gotten made except that I decided to clean it all up off the dining room table where it sits in giant piles.


Well just as luck would have it, I discovered another dining room table that had nothing on it at all.  What luck.  And it was only in the adjacent room.  So I moved most of the paper to it and sorted it on the way.  


But other people who live here and like to make things and even eat at tables were having none of this.  I had gone just too far.  Gosh darn it.  I had to rush around prepare paper and lay out what I thought might work...and fast too.  I got it all done in one day or two and I stacked the paper on the sideboard.  Ouch.  As I looked at it I realized there was still a big mess.  Only it was now on three tables instead of one.


I immediately got out my glue sticks and bamboo tools and glued like a maniac kid in kindergarten.  I was also painting downstairs on the ping pong table and on the kitchen counter.  It was all hopeless.  I was afraid things might start disappearing.  What do the want of me?  There is still a little round table with nothing on it.  Ahhh! Perfect!  

I used it to keep gluing and painting and stuff while other stuff either dried or sat contemplating itself.  
And we still have chairs!  Well they are perfect to stand things on while I look at them.


And with these Herculean efforts...this mad determination.  And a bit of patience from the onlookers.
I eventually got the tables almost completely cleaned off.  And the sideboard too, except for a tiny stack.  And the kitchen counter, at least for this morning.  And the stack of stuff left on the other table I am still working on.  Its a neat stack. Honest.  And the ping pong table doesn't count cause it is downstairs.  And those are big paintings down there.

This is what the artist is forced to go through when he wants to create!  

Ahemm.  I just realized that I have paints permanently stationed on every counter in the kitchen.  And in the dining room.  This is a proliferation.  There is one spot stuffed with brushes, and another with rollers and mostly empty bottles of paint (so I can save the bottles and their stoppers).  And there is still more paper out there I found yesterday and organized again....

2 comments:

  1. How come Seth didn't do a video of you in the studio yet? Tell him his YouTube fans are hungry for something substantial in terms of an interview with Dad! In the painting studio!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick that is brilliant of course as usual...but I was thinking my buddy Andy could do one first. Maybe while I'm painting or drinking coffee...!

    ReplyDelete