Tuesday, February 18, 2014

I found these

I found these this morning.  I guess I just forgot them for awhile.  And when I pulled them out I liked them.  So here they are.  


In 1978 I was living in South Bend Indiana.  And one week we were left with 12 foot of snow on the ground.  It was illegal to go outside.  Some people did of course, but they disappeared.  I had to go outside too because a lady downstairs was diabetic and I had to go get some prescriptions for her.


I was walking along in the vast whiteness when I saw a long wire sticking out of the ground.  I kept looking at it until I realized it was the antennea on a giant truck which I had apparently been walking above.  I got a bit nervous.  I knew it was a bad idea but the pharmacy was only two blocks away.


I was worried about maybe walking over houses...but as far as I know that didn't happen.  But you didn't know what was happening.  The windows and doors on the first floor of the buildings were completely gone.  It was the strangest thing I've ever experienced.


But you couldn't step out from the second floor or you would just sink and be gone. period...so there was a small group of us going to this pharmacy.  Very mystical very strange and wild and certainly from another world.  There were no images.  None at all.  And it was quiet.  As quiet as I can imagine.


Thank god I was young enough not to understand the danger we were in...I do remember a couple of weeks later a giant earth mover moved slowly up our little street and loaded giant trucks with snow.  Where they took it I have no idea.  It was a magical event for me.  A wondrous thing that surrounded me.


Then my boss called me.  He insisted I open my store.  Well. For who?  We had Marshall law.
You couldn't be outside.  But he got crazy.  So one late morning I walked to my store.  I had no idea where my car was.  It took several hours.  And by god an hour later I got a delivery.  Sort of.


A truck from our warehouse had gotten through somehow even though all the highways were closed and it was again illegal to drive a truck into the northern part of the state.  I saw the truck pulling up to the loading place (thank goodness they were elevated.  But the truck didn't stop...it just slid on by on its way to the river behind the store.


But I was there with a wonderful group of girl majorettes.  One of them worked for me.  That day they all did.  We counted the inventory.  Then I went home for another week.  Until the next truck.

3 comments:

  1. i was visiting you guys when that blizzard hit and it snowed 6 feet (at least) over night! lynn and i trudged through it to the grocery store, remember?! i do remember the diabetic neighbor and how you went out to the pharmacy - did lynn and i go with you? anyway, it was crazy and i have a picture of lynn and me standing in the path you shoveled, the snow was over our heads. you worked so hard to shovel that path, and that was AFTER you worked so hard to even get the building door open b/c the snow was up against it. one of the funnest times of my life. i loved it, you guys were both home and we played games and smoked. xoxoxooxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I do remember. That was when I was realizing there really are nice people around.

      Delete
  2. guess what? These are all tiny little guys....

    ReplyDelete