Saturday, October 18, 2014

why make such ugly things?

You might look at these and ask, "Why make such ugly things?"  And in fact I might also ask the same thing.   But the answer is always the same.  I don't know.  I set this first one out yesterday and when I did I thought..."perfect."   I didn't know what perfect I meant, what composition I thought I was exploring...


And I moved on to this next one in which as I peered at it seemed to me to have a fun jumpy energy...


And this next one I thought contained a weird limid energy...like the weird "we think it dead" energy of the shark someone caught out off the coast of Santa Monica that time I went "deep sea" fishing with my dad on that large scary floating metal casket of a  boat that day.


...they just kept shooting the shark with what I thought was a weird little gun and it kept swimming and swimming...but it slowed down and was chained to the boat right under the platform where we stepped to get off the boat.


...I think I permanently lost much of my essential energy that day.  And almost the very next day I found a miniature shark on the beach, just a dead little guy in the sand.

I never did think that shark, the big one, was dead at all.  I thought as I looked in it's shark eye that it was patiently waiting...waiting to strike.






4 comments:

  1. Hi Doug, these are great! I often ask why do people make such ugly things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes and while I was in the magnificent Luray Caverns I saw billions of signs and machines like I stick in my paintings...

      Delete
  2. More doodles needed also, ugly or not.

    ReplyDelete