Wednesday, November 27, 2013

steadfastly along the nerve

The most demanding part of living a lifetime as an artist is the strict discipline of forcing oneself to work steadfastly along the nerve of one's own intimate sensitivity.  -Anne Truitt



Of course you always gotta worry when using quotes like that that they may seem self serving…but not really because you are only writing this for yourself.  The quotes work for you so use them. done.


And now I find I am trying to make really ugly things.  Something it seems kids are always into I guess or who knows.  It's all challenging.  I mean just to make something…anything…I just get in an ugly mood I suppose.


But I don't know.  Things just turn up.  Boom here's a new site on synaesthesia, the condition I always related to Arthur Rimbaud, and suspected must turn out almost everywhere.


And then then here's one of my Cocteau pieces...at least that's what I call them.  They just keep popping up…I don't know why.


Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things -Edgar Degas




4 comments:

  1. Another very productive week for you, Doug!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice. what's synaesthesia? feeling sensations the wrong way, like when you're tripping?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is really only a way of seeing things that I think is quite common. Both Rimbaud and Cendrars use it when thinking of numbers…each number seems to have a color.
    We probably all have this sort of alternate sensation in some way some of the time.
    But yea I would guess tripping could set it off...

    ReplyDelete