Tuesday, July 23, 2013

awake an' a'workin'

So -often really- when I'm workin' on something I will go on workin' on it the whole day.  We all do that don't we? An sometimes the next day too...an sometimes for weeks at a time... 


In a way its just a simple idea at least in one concept.  But of course the devil is in the details.


And those details can get very complex and very difficult to sort out, if in fact they actually get sorted out.


I love it when they do.  Then things just happen and it's like floating on the grass, dreaming and staring at the clouds.


Then sometimes it feels like I'm in a castle somewhere with all these bottles around me mixing up dangerous potions and testing them on some sort of responsive paper.  Can the creation be complete? 


Have I mixed the right formula?  Will the application respond today?  ...will it have the energy and movement I wish for it?


Will someone look at it and say -by god he's done it...! it has a life of its own, it can talk back to me.


It is actually flowing on the paper...! It has its movement.  The pieces of paper floating in it like trash in a stream...


I always reach for those things...I usually  have a particular base I wish to use.  So that I don't have to think about it.



In art one idea is as good as another. --Willem de Kooning


And no one knows I don't think exactly where this will ever end up.  Not with a single picture nor with a hundred of them.  I've read about as much as I can from different artists, at least the ones I admire,  and it seems they all say about the same thing.  And they couldn't be more different from each other.


I don't know how to organize thoughts.  I don't know how to have thoughts. --Jasper Johns


They are all simply people just like you and me though many of them are breath-takingly more insightful and more articulate than we could ever hope to be.  And some ain't.

  John Cage said that fear in life is the fear of change.  If I may add to that: nothing can avoid changing.  It's the only thing you can count on.  Because life doen't have any other possibility, everyone can be measured by his adaptability to change. -- Robert Rauschenberg

2 comments:

  1. the first 8 are definitely streams...
    I am thinking about the quote above...
    there is a contradiction i don't think u did on purpose - the juror stickers. calm waters VS the red startling juror circuit county etc is like a cold system and not floating along too well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. I love these. I haven't seen them since I first did them. I wanna do more of these. Hey maybe Jury duty is good for me...!

      Delete