Monday, June 2, 2014

the erotic and the abstract part 1

I'm doing a show with a friend of mine.  I didn't pick the title.  She did.  She is much younger than I am.  She grew up in Northern California and was educated there.  And she is smart anyhow.


But just to ensure you know I am honest with you I will admit I don't know what either of those words mean.  I'll have to look them up and stuff and maybe write something more or less academic.
I'll definitely put in Kandinsky and Picasso.  Hmm, and maybe Franz Kline and Jackson Pollock.
That oughta cover it.  No no no.  Put in Amy Sillman and Helen Frankenthaler too.  That oughta do it.


I've always distrusted that word, abstract.  I think what it means is something like, not done in a recognizable pictorial or photographic style, or maybe, consisting of elemental strong line, that cross a bunch of times or something like that.  Or maybe not huh?


And erotic? Jessus help me. I don't know.  I remember Cendrars talking about the erotic.  He was saying it is fundamental to fashion or something, man I gotta find that again.  But he said that fashion is always about death, that that is why we have all the skinny girls in those outrageous costumes and makeup, -to celebrate death, to imitate it's costumes, etc.  At least I think so.  Something like that anyway.


And -of course -I have to put those two words together.  Either compare and contrast, or join them like the erotic and abstract in Art....well I don't even get that.  Is that like Klimt:  make a beautiful painting, now cut a hole in it a insert a beautiful woman?

I've got an idea.  I'll get Cassy who is beautiful and smart, and a graduate student in art to write it for me.  No, wait a minute.  The smartest and most educated person in art that I know of is Laura...there you go, now I know who to call, my own personal ghostbuster.  I'm practically ready.

There are many accidents that are nothing but accidents -and forget it.  But there are some that that were brought about only because you are the person you are...you have the wherewithal, energy, and intelligence to recognize it and do something with it. -Helen Frankenthaler

2 comments: