Friday, June 20, 2014

next to me

And I also like that Socrates quote, because it affirms my belief that the greatest writers are also the greatest readers.  That seems paramount to great work, a study of the works of others...


Now I admit...in painting, that from the beginning I've been hesitant to wish to study the work of other painters -I think I was afraid I might have to dig myself out of a hole, and might never find my own voice so to speak.


And ever since that first day in Kindegarten when I painted what I thought was a masterpiece, I have had the voice I have now.  It is the only voice I shall ever have.  And it suits me.  Now probably, somebody sometime will -in kindness- open my eyes to how derivative this work is, how hopelessly amateur it is, how completely unoriginal. 


But I'm ready.  Bring it on.  Art, though, I think of as a hopeless task, as unrewarding as a task can be -I mean how could I expect some "reward" for making this art.  The best reward is without doubt, 
is those that know me, and come regularly to the site, and leave remarks...it is those crumbs which feed me, and those morsels which inspire me to keep working.

No comments:

Post a Comment