Sunday, October 20, 2013

keeping flow

Making the simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. -Charlie Mingus


I am happy just to make anything, anything without thought without a clear reference to anything at all really.


What I fear is that I'll wake up and I'll think I don't like this stuff, I'm done with it, I'm just not doing it anymore.


And then I begin to fall, I spin and fall and think, oh how I hate thinking, and you wonder what to do, what is good and practical, what is fun and stupid, what is at all...?


But this keeps me from going there.  Cause I can forget these for a week or two, and then I come across them, and I think well that is pretty, and that is all it takes to make me happy.


When it is working, you completely go into another place, you're tapping into things that are totally universal, completely beyond your ego and your own self.  That's what it is all about.  -Keith Haring


Yep.  It can be a rush that is the doing of it not standing in front of it looking at it though now that I think of it that of course can be a rush too.  I've stood there and imagined the entire process, thought about how the artist felt what he was thinking about, how the creativity hit him and carried him.  Sort of like body surfing if you've ever done that.  You feel it for hours after you're done.  You feel the motion and the force of the wave as it carries you.

2 comments:

  1. These are just wonderful! Love the bleeding colors....

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my god, i LOVE these doug. these are beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete