Sunday, April 6, 2014

on being an artist

on being an artist -Where do you work? -do you work 'inside' or do you work 'outside?'  


To work inside is to deal with the internal conditions of the work -the melodies, the textures, the rhythms, the lyrics, the images.  -all the day-to-day things you imagine an artist does.


To work outside is to deal with the world surrounding the work -the assumptions, expectations, legends, histories, economic structures, critical responses, and so, on and on.  You might think of these things as the frame of the work.


A frame is a way of creating a little world around something.


Is there anything in a work that is not frame actually? -Brian Eno





we are all so odd aren't we?  We constantly think of "I" as in I did this and they did that...but really do we ever really think "I" did anything at all?  Who was that "I" anyway?  It must of been a long time ago and he was just a kid, a very naive kid too,  and that lasted a long time, well up to the present at least and into the possible future.  I will lay down tonight and contemplate this "I".

No comments:

Post a Comment