Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Josef Albers

I am the first to admit that none of these bare any resemblance to Josef Albers...it's just that I want to talk about his work for a minute or two, actually not his work so much as my introduction to it.


Back in the early 70's I was in school down in southern Ohio with Ethelred Eldridge and Jenny Holtzer (who was also a student there).  I was also babysitting to make a little money.  


I had one job in a small house with a nice couple who had a little girl.  She had already gone to bed when I got there.  And what I was to do was sit there while she slept and read a book and maybe watch television while they were out.


But I was too nervous to do anything.  I kept wondering if I should go check on the girl but I decided not to.  I didn't want to wake her.  And I was afraid she would be scared since she had not met me.


I didn't even want to watch any television, since I never did anyway.  And so I just sat there in a chair in that tiny living room. Right next to me in the only light available was a picture painted by Josef Albers.  The professor had told me about him, and I was interested.


But I was too nervous to get up and look through the professor's books on him, so I just sat there and stared at it. All night.  Till late. Till the professor and his wife came home.  I got to know him a bit that night.  Just me and him in a very small room.


I didn't move that evening.  I just sat in a comfortable chair and listened for the little girl's breathing and looked at this peaceful painting, one that seemed to offer solace and a promise of harmony in it's inner workings.


No comments:

Post a Comment