Friday, April 4, 2014

changing ourselves

Changing ourselves.  Surely that must be what we are after when we look at pictures and watch movies and listen to music.  It sounds more Californian than it really is.  Changing ourselves includes switching on the radio when we are bored -going from someone who is bored to someone who is less bored, or bored in a different way.  -Eno


This one below is another in what seems to be an endless homage to looking east as the sun comes up each morning.  It is just simply stunning, ever changing, a voluminous blast as that fiery orb blows through the thick cloud cover and lights the horizon on fire, and changing the water to any color it fancies.


But of course we would like to think that the art we venerate does more than feed us sensations to keep us from the gloom of everyday existence. -BE


Why would I prefer that?  What's wrong with the opposite?  I remember someone saying that all human creativity is a desperate attempt to occupy the brief space or endless gap between birth and death.  We would like to think that art remakes us in some way, deepens us, makes us "better" people.
-Eno


Well I guess I obviously hope it deepens us, helps us to remember all the beautiful people we have come across in our brief/endless lives.  One time me and Jerry Jordan were in the grocery store and Maynard G Krebs walked up to us.  He was such a cool Beatnik...and, man, like he was Jerry's uncle.


And my cousin Suzie and my big sister's friend, gosh darn what was was her name, they were both wonderful and beautiful people to know.  They were nice to me.  They were smart and clever...I don't meet people like that every day.


I remember Johnny Mead, my first childhood friend, who's mom was the only person I knew who owned a washer and a dryer, and she taught me how to read a clock...wow.   From then on, I knew how to tell time.  Me and Johnny could go in and sit and stare at the washer while it did an entire wash.

3 comments:

  1. these are so gorgeous, doug, just breathtaking...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever I am doing these types of paintings, I often think of you, and I think of the fabulous things you did back then, all of which I loved.

      Delete
    2. Sorry Nick, I thought you were the other Nick, but I can see your are not, you are this Nick, the one who does not have listed Dead Can Dance or the Mothers of Invention, really. And does not have listed a single Knut Hamsun nor Dhalgren...!

      Delete