Monday, March 3, 2014

all sorts of colors

In the 1840s society wags razzed the aging William Turner, oracle titan-painter of the sublime, alleging that 'Turner's reputation dies, dolphin-like, all sorts of colors. -Graham Burnett


I certainly gazed in disbelief at the Turner's I've seen, almost always reproductions, and wondered at different times, what is this, searching for a title, some clue.  And even then not getting it.


And now of course I would want nothing better than to be able to paint like that.  Above is my sunrise over the lake.


Painting seems to me to be be often mystical, arranged and made by others for other types of people.


Mine seem obvious.  Made for me I guess.   And for some few select others.


It must be interesting to look. and to see. these differing things that show up.  It is for me.

2 comments:

  1. More great paintings in this batch! Doug, I worry that you are overproducing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nick...you are kidding of course...one has to really fast-burn his production to paint anything

    ReplyDelete