Thursday, September 26, 2013

the angel is my watermark

I didn't mean to have her in here I don't think...but I look and there she is the focus of the painting.  How are you my beauty?...I'm glad to see you.  It appears you are here to wish me good luck and to bring happiness...and you are made of a candy wrapper...!



I read yesterday where Marc Rothko said -My paintings are not me, they are not-me.  I found that strange.  I've always found them so deep so profound...but if it is true what he says, then what a miracle that he could create them...



Mine are always me...the expression is always me.  One will be so sharp and clear, the next mushy and combed with what seem like paste.  I look at it the very next day and I think, I wanted to achieve that and I did.  But I don't remember how.   



Some of them I love and they seem unruly and undisciplined...yet I have not the heart to discipline them, I accept them just as they are.


And others appear as an ocean of peace for me, in both their yellows and their greens.


No matter what I do...they all just get done.  Some months from now, If I were to look once again at them I would probably only remember one or two...



And soon it will be Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas once more.   It all tumbles over itself, each holiday arguing with each other to be the happiest, the most memorable, the one one with the special sparkle.


What a crazy time it is.  The leaves are beginning to change color, the wind is blowing and -believe it or not, the yellow stripes in the center of the road have slipped and slid over two feet each.  Now one side of the road is wider than the other.


3 comments:

  1. Doug, I think it's time to start looking for sponsors for a show of these! The candy bar wrappers and package paper makers should be contacted. What are some of the products that have a Chicago base? What gallery would you pick? Is Rothko still around to give you advice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Emily Dickinson says, I am nobody, Are you nobody too? They just want to sue me and take everything I have left...Rothko is unfortunately not around nor is anybody. Just us two. Nobody even bothers to look at this blog anymore. You know Rothko painted those large pieces for a restaurant owner here...he got a million dollars for them. Then he thought about it, gave back the money, and sent them to the Tate in London...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i can't help leaving a comment just so you know i read your blog. i'm doing a huge catch up after not checking it for a couple months. but i still get an email every time you post. i did a big catch up on seth's viddys tonight too. i just love your blog and i love his viddys.

    ReplyDelete