Friday, September 20, 2013

dirty and greasy

These all seem a bit dirty and greasy to me.  Sort of like a recently abandoned factory.  Maybe I'm remembering Detroit where I lived for eleven years.  Not that it was dirty or greasy.  It wasn't.  It was really quite a magnificent experience.  The most lovely and beautiful people.


But it had abandoned factories and abandoned streets even then.  And of course it had many many old American cars driving around.  And at that time I collected rust.   


And these old cars often dropped small pieces of rust.  I mean often enough so that when I would be walking I could find one or two.  My favorites were two little pieces connected together that actually moved.  Those were cool.  And I like metal so old and rusted it was like lace.


I'd bring these home and add them to my pretty substantial collection.   I only hope that now there is some rust collector who still has access to it.  I no longer can find any at all.


I do believe these remind me of the rust I collected.  The rust and the wet sewers on the street and in parking lots.  All the detritus you could see everywhere.


Don't you know, my blue bubble friend in this future of yours, as you work on the art project you will be working on then, maybe detritus is a word you may use as you describe this era.  Maybe this attempt to collect and preserve this abundance of waste is at the center of it.


And there is some kind of attempt to document my own wasteful life.  A la TS Eliot I think...We are the hollow men headpiece full of straw...


Of course someone is right now documenting their life hopefully in the same way.  But with writing.  That would be fun to read.  -walked 26 steps to the door of Blick Art supply.  10 min. in store.  Bought ink.  Got back in car.  Drove 1.7 miles home...


Sounds like Alain Robbe-Grillet don't it a little.  Of course he is sadly gone.  Ah, maybe it is some new kid I don't know yet.  Where does he live my blue bubble friend?

6 comments:

  1. Lovely new work, I believe you have reached a new level of definition in your style. I hope I am around to see a transition from human made materials into a natural style with leaves and sticks, at least for one season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh I don't know they all seem the same from beginning to end....

      Delete
  2. Was just thinking, you may want to pack some of these extra well, if they are a little greasy you may have mice nibbling. On the other hand, it may add beauty and value, who knows? But these are looking good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea and I'm gonna use those mice in the new paintings...

      Delete
  3. do you still have all your rust? we got rid of most of ours. but then we picked up more. i say we but i mean heinz. we use it outside on the patio for beauty. COME OUT. miss you too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sad -it is all gone, and there is no more. It is our nation's number one import to China...

      Delete