Sunday, August 11, 2013

August rolls along

This year well it has been busy I think and though August rolls along it doesn't roll with intensity.  Paintings just happen by accident as they will so to speak yet without the intensity of drive of having a locus of attention.


As with anyone's life a month occasionally just gets too many other focus points going and it moves painting back a step.  And its funny as the painting doesn't seem to mind almost as if it is saying Oh I'm sorry. Am I in the way?  Or maybe it says politely one morning, Sir would you care to paint this morning?


Not that I mind sir, yet you seem to be getting hopelessly low on paper.  Now I realize we have no money this month. And I was thinking we could use cardboard what do you think?


Yes I suppose you're right.  No cardboard itself is complicated this month.  



And I even wondered sir if the font is not changing beneath our feet.  It definitely seems larger or something.  It all just seems a bit out of balance.  Would you not agree?


I think though that the painting seems unchanged.  That is a good thing is it not?


Hmmm, probably it would be best for me, that is as the representative
of the paintings themselves, well it might be better for me to keep quiet and let the paintings talk. 


Except of course if you are afraid the paintings have nothing to say.  And that I am being manipulated to speak for the speechless.  And that could lead to embarrassing questions about your own personal commitment. 

-Don't kid yourself and don't try to kid me.  I know who you are and I know what you are.
You are the same hyper critical voice that always speaks inside me.  You have nothing of value to add.  Just go away.  I am tired of you.




5 comments:

  1. Nice work Doug, and good re-use. I like how paper and cardboard have so many personalities. And when you combine with color it goes to the next dimension. from 'Subshrub'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are always always so kind. They do have funny personalities though don't they? Did you ever see Rauchenberg's cardboard stuff?

      Delete
  2. Thanks. I like it too, the different personalities...and the next dimension...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What you have written here ... a new thought to your paintings? They are not you, you are not them, who is in control?
    I liked that the the last paragraph became a different voice and it is personal.
    2nd painting has decided to be about shapes. I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always get these things right. It is strange how literate you art students are. Yep. Shapes. It is the word.

      Oh I don't know if anyone is really in control. But that was clever to notice the voice change. Did you study poetry?

      Delete