Friday, May 24, 2013

Chiaroscuro Cylinder Echolalia


I opened my eyes today so I could see around me.  And I noticed that many artists just put up their work without any comment.  whadayaknow.  So  I was thinking maybe I could do that too.  Sometime.

But while I paint I talk to my paintings (not really -I just try to pierce them with my gaze) and try to cajole them into becoming something great.  Or at least better than I can do.  That is usually all I can accomplish.

But it is much better when that other takes over and I think not at all.  Nor do I talk. Am not really there.  At all.



That's when interesting work gets done.  All I do is look at it.  And on rare occasions I think wow that is great.  I want to do lot's of those.  But then I have to ask how did I do that and then the whole process gets ruined.

So I just don't have the mind for it at all.  There is no room for analysis discussion etc.  Just do the next one and the next one and the next one.  Open up and let her in.  It is like a Caesar cypher, some recognizable yet obscured object, something you know when you touch it in the dark, yet when you wake up you can't see it anywhere.


It seems weird to me how I just keep painting the same thing over and over and over.  And then again.
But maybe someone else out there knows what I'm talking about.  Cause I don't.

Robert Motherwell said something about how artists are like math wizards who keep working on the same complicated problem.  And the only people they can share them with are other math wizards and they are very few.


But well uh.  They just keep comin. And I put a few of them up here on the blog.  I noticed I don't put up colllages.  Why's that?  I keep makin em.  Allright.  I'll put up a few.



1 comment:

  1. So do artists understand artists' work only? Understand beyond just appreciating it? Kind of a scary thought. 2nd one down...amazing...to me

    ReplyDelete