Wednesday, January 9, 2013

the eye - garin horner


The best thing is to have friends. Work takes up a bunch of time and can be isolating.  I like that but I love friends as well.   And in the case of my paintings a new friend appeared almost as soon as I needed him.

Now there are eyes and there are eyes.  Garin has eyes clear and calm and they came to my rescue time and again.

One time, when I was talking about my paintings that disappeared in a move across country, he volunteered to take pictures of the new ones.  I was a bit surprised but I said yea let's do it.  I don't think I had the vaguest idea he was a photographer.

Well the next week I found out just how a photographer works. He showed up with what looked like a drum kit  and proceeded to tape up all the windows, set up stands, pull out a huge camera, run lights to what looked like a giant car battery, set up black cloth over cardboard, bring out pins, and proceeded to start taking pictures.

And then he disappeared for a couple of weeks.  He came back with a little stick.   I put it in my computer and I was blown away.  I saw my pictures bright and clear, each one isolated each one as a single important piece.

He'd stand looking through his camera and he'd say doug come look at this.  I stood there looking and then he smiled and said look through the lens.  And in the lens I saw my painting.  It had somehow changed maybe showered and put on clean clothes or got a haircut or something.  I just knew it had changed.  It was quite amazing.

I must say this was only one of the many things he has done for me.  But it was the first.  It gave me faith.

2 comments: