Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Robert Walser Mark Rothko and me

There is no such thing as abstract...there are only things which we do not fully comprehend...and so, well we call them abstract.  When I was in DC with my boys we went to the Phillips Collection, which is totally groovy.  While there I walked into the Rothko room, the dreamiest sexiest room in America.  One large Rothko on each of four walls.  I went up to the guard and asked him if they could bring a bed into the center of the room so I could take a nap.

I don't know for certain what Rothko wanted to achieve but I know the sort of absence and chant I felt at that moment.  I wish you all could have been there with me, each of us snuggled up in cozy chairs in that room, each with our backs to the other, each of us asleep and dreaming...each of us would have a copy of Robert Walser's The Walk (middleton trns.) which we were reading as we fell asleep and now lies snuggled close to us...


watercolor ink  rives bfk 11x15


collage pencil watercolor ink  rives bfk 11x15

2 comments: