Monday, November 3, 2014

remarks for the well-read

I would rather that my pictures amused and interested the man in the street when he leaves his own work, not the art-struck, the in-people, but those who have no particular instruction or propensity.  It's the man in the street that  I'm after, personally, he's the one I feel akin to, he's the one I want to be friends with and confide in and collude with, and he's the one I'd like to delight and enchant with my works. -Jean Dubuffet


A painting has the particular merit that it draws the viewer into a world of wonder...it is as exciting and stimulating as a dog that can talk...Therein lies the enchanting effect of a successful picture...it can be as exciting to own a painting as to own a talking dog. -Dubuffet


True art is always where one does not expect it. -Dubuffet


The impulse of the human hand, it's authentic spontaneity...-Dubuffet


Copying paintings, one runs into the difficulty of reproducing all of. its accidents.  It is impossible to reproduce these chance incidents in precisely the same place where they occur in the original.  They are caused by myriad flukes -the brush got stuck on a tiny protruding grain, or else it dragged along a dot of color that hadn't dried yet -Dubuufet

2 comments: