Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Odd Ones

These are a few odd fellows.  You know you work on a certain thing an image that speaks to you, yet on some days you hear nothing no voice comes through and you paint anyway.  And on those days something else happens, a different experience as you rush to finish them.  They speak a foreign tongue and you hardly look at them.  Not at the time.  And later you look and they seem interesting.


They have a unity of course.  They always have that though you never expect it.  Maybe they express something you haven't thought about.  I don't know.  I don't even have any idea what I think of them.


Funny too, I know I began thinking about something I hadn't thought about for years.  I mean it's simple not some wild experience.  I was thinking about my grandmother.  She was young at the turn of the century.  An Irish girl in an Irish community.


She got very sick as a young girl and had a high fever.  They thought she would die.  So a few of the neighborhood women went out that night and caught a skunk.  They cut out its stink sack and used it to rub all over her skin.  She began to get better right away.  Her fever cut and in a day or two she was cured.

One of her brothers made his living on skunks.  He started by selling the fur to the Russians.  How he did that I have no idea.  But it didn't last long as it was soon the time of the Russian revolution and styles changed.  But by then he had figured out to sell skunk oil which he got by baking them and having a pan to catch the oil.   The stink sacks he continued to sell also, and now he had the baked skunks which some people would eat, especially thru out the depression.

Her other brother decided he might work overseas and left to go to China.  He returned 35 years later and retired in Arizona.

It is always odd what it turns out people do.

3 comments:

  1. my God was that an Irish remedy? I wonder if it was for a specific type of fever/illness or just for fevers in general. Living in China...I have never understood this, how people go to China and never come back. My cousin went to China, we were very close growing up and as teenagers and adults continued to be...until he went to China. Feels like he is lost somewhere in that vast country, although at the moment he lives specifically in an area famous for ceramics, that art of which he has done his whole life. A few years ago he came to the US and visited me and the kids in Chicago. One thing he expressed to me is feeling lost. When he went to China I felt a big loss...lost in China...feeling lost...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an old American Indian cure they taught the settlers as far as I know. The Irish had been in Michigan a long long time.

      Yea and China does seem vast and far away somehow even now. It sure was in 1905. My young uncle was here in Evanston and was killed.

      Delete
  2. Oh a Native American cure...interesting because skunks are the last thing in the world that people would use for anything, yet I had no idea it had many uses ever, in history, when I first read this I thought how sad these remedies are extinct.

    ReplyDelete