Monday, February 4, 2013

planting trees



Of course the first thing to do when getting a new yard is to plant some trees.  Even before weeding.  Just look around and scope it out imagining the entire plan first.  Then put some trees in the points that you need them like blocking a neighbor's garage or blocking a view into your other neighbor's living room.

Now what trees shall we plant?  The first one I put in was a kousa dogwood.  I love it's form, I love the flowers and the leaves, the color, the way it looks in the winter.

And then got hold of a large acer griseum, paperback maple for the front yard, removed the grass around it to make a bed, and planted a row of boxwood to make a hedge along the path to the front door.


And since I had a large front yard I planted two amelachier, June berry my mom used to call them, serviceberry they're called now, the tamer size (heck now you can get them in almost any size ever thought of, "growing to six feet"  or eight feet or ten feet or twenty, it is amazing how fast the stuff is changing now and it's just getting started.



Now those are my three favorite trees though I love maples and japanese maples in particular and I love the Ash trees RIP, and I love the crategus hawhtorn,  and the new elm like trees of all types except the zelkova, and oh my god don't get me started on the new grasses how extraordinary, and I mean all types.

You make a little hedge of those and put roses on the sunny side!

Now you come back and put a hedge of boxwood on the front side of your patio back there and behind it and fill in with every beautiful plant ever invented.  And you are in heaven I think.

And did I have taller trees. Oh yes.  I had a grove of Norway smiling trees towering to the far side of the front yard,  and a backyard way down back filled with maples and trillium and may flowers.


You know as things change in the future I bet nothing will change as fast as yards will.  We will all have grass that grows two inches tall and each of us will have a different color yellow, green of course, turquoise, lavender, hip new colors too.  All our trees will need no watering, there will be every conceivable shape and color stems color leaves and branches, the flowers and grasses will be electric in their shades and hues, their ability to change color, the most outlandish Japanese maples ever dreamed of, oh to have a traditional mid twenty-first century yard  !!

No comments:

Post a Comment